As we already know Gmail is a free webmail service provided by Google. Gmail login is required to use the service and features provided by Google. This post here will guide you step by step on the process. With a Google account, you can also have access to YouTube, Google+ and many other services provided by Google. It has made easy for all their users creating a single account for every service it provides.
Gmail Login Steps
- First, open your web browser (Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Windows Internet Explorer). Then type in google.com or gmail.com on the URL bar/search bar and press enter, or you can click the link to land on the Gmail login page.
If you click or land on google.com home page, then either click on “Gmail” or “Sign in”, both will redirect you to the same home screen.
If you search or click on gmail.com, then you’ll directly land on its homepage.
- Now enter your Username/email address, which you have created while signing up for Gmail. Then click on “Next”.
- Next, enter your password on the password field. Remember, a password is case sensitive so type it correctly.
If you want to stay signed in even after closing the browser, then simply tick on the box “Stay signed in“. By doing so, you don’t need to log in next time when you want to check your emails, as your browser remembers your sign in information. You’ll just land on your mailbox after entering www.gmail.com or www.mail.google.com. However, make sure no one else uses internet through your browser as they’ll also have access to all your emails and data.
- Lastly, click on “Sign in” button to access your Gmail mailbox.
Once you’re signed in, it’ll directly forward you to the Inbox section, here you can read all your emails and reply to them. You can chat with those people who are on your contact list and also hang out with your Google+ circle.
If you want to write a new mail then click on the red “Compose” button which is above Inbox. To check your emails click on “Inbox“, where you can read them and also reply to those emails.
As you click on inbox, you can see these signs. The square box outline is to select your mail (you can delete, report spam, move to other folders). While the star outline is to make a special status for your messages so that it’ll be easier to find next time.
And if you click on the last outline, then it’ll mark that mail as important.
Gmail Sign up
- First, on your web browser, type Google.com or simply click on it to land on login screen of google.
- Once you land on this page (as shown in the image below), Click on the “More Option” and then select”Create account” button on the bottom.
- Now you’ll need to fill in the credentials (as shown in the image below).
In the first two boxes, enter your first and last name respectively. Then on the next box, choose a username(which will be your email address i.e email@example.com). After choosing your username, now time to create a strong password, it should be at least 8 characters long and I recommend you to also use both upper and lower case to make your password strong. You can also use symbols like !@#$* to make even more stronger password for your account. Again re-enter the password you just created on the next box.
- Then you need to enter your date of birth, choose your gender through the drop-down menu. And also choose the country’s code, to choose it, just click on the drop-down menu (which is next to the flag, a blue triangle facing downwards) then choose your country’s name and enter your mobile number.
You also need to provide your current email address, so that Google can send you the link anytime you can’t access your Gmail account. And it will also send notifications and help other people find you and also keeps your account secure.
- Now, enter the captcha you see on the screen, on the box that say’s “Type the text”. Then on the next box, choose your location through the drop-down menu.
Congratulations on creating your new Gmail account.
With this account, you can gain access to all other services provided by Google i.e Google Adwords, Google Drive, Google Maps, YouTube, etc. You also have access to Google+, with this username and password. You can also download a game on your Android devices through this account.
It’s a free webmail service where you can send and receive emails online, in a fast and secure way and easy too. You can access this service from anywhere around the world but just need an internet connection from whichever device you are using.
- Google will verify your identity through a mobile number you’ve provided earlier and kept your account secure.
- Even if you lose or forget your password, Google will send you a mail to your alternate email address or send a special one-time verification code to verify your identity on your mobile number that you’ve provided while creating an account to reset it. It works same for username too if you forget it.
Common Gmail Login Problems
If you are having problems while signing in to Gmail then here are some common problems and their solutions are given below. First, you’ll see an error message, this happens when you enter your password incorrectly. Re-check and re-type your username/email address and password (Remember password are case sensitive).
What to do if I forget my Gmail Password?
Don’t worry even if you forget your password Google has a way through which you can reset your password and recover your account. Just follow these quick steps.
- First, go to the login page of Gmail. Enter your email address on the first page and continue to the password section. Here, click on “Forgot Password” link, as you can see in the image below.
- Now, there are 3 ways to reset your password. (assuming that you have synced your Gmail account with your smartphone)
- First, enter the last password that you remember using with this email account. Now, you’ll get a notification on your mobile phone stating “Trying to sign in via another computer?” Click on Yes and you can create a new password. Here’s a screenshot of what you’ll receive on your mobile phone.
- Secondly, in the page where you enter the last password that you remember, click on “try another way” link. Now, you’ll get the notification on your mobile device with the same message that we talked in the above step. Click on yes and you can create a new password for your account via desktop.
- Lastly, you can reset your password by verifying your identity via text code sent to the mobile number that you’ve entered while creating an account. Click on “Text” and you’ll get a code via text in a few seconds. Enter that code and you are eligible to reset your password. Or else you can go with the “Call” option where you’ll get a call and you need to listen to the code carefully.
- What if I don’t have a phone around me? well. in that case, click on the link “I don’t have a phone“. By doing this, the code will be sent to the alternative email address that you’ve provided while creating an account.
- But again, if you don’t have an alternate email address set up then click on “Try another way”. Now, you need to enter the date when you created this account. So, go through this. There are a few other questions, complete all. But still, if you don’t know the date then you need to provide the email address that you can access now. Google will send the verification code to that email address of yours. And once you enter the code successfully, you can create a new password for your account.
So, these are the few processes by which you can easily reset your password. If you still have any doubt regarding this, it’s better to contact google support.
What to do if I forgot my Username?
Even if you don’t remember your username, it’s OK. Follow these quick steps to regain your username.
- Go to Gmail login page, here click on “Forgot Email?” link.
- Now, enter your mobile number or email address on the given space and click on “Next”.
- Enter your first and last name in the appropriate boxes.
- As the number and name matches, Google will send the verification code to the mobile number that you’ve provided.
If you choose the first method/option, then you’ll need to enter your alternative email address (the one which you entered while creating Gmail account).
But, if you choose the second method/option, then you’ll need to enter your phone number (a number that you entered while creating Gmail account) and tick on either a text message or an automated phone call to receive a verification code.
Then your first and last name respectively, then tick on I’m not a robot, where you’ll be asking a question(it’s simple thou’), answer it. Lastly, click on “Submit” button.
- Google will send a verification code on your email address or on your phone via SMS / automated call.
By this verification code you received, you can regain your Gmail account. And continue your work via Gmail by receiving and sending emails.
What to do if I have other problems?
If you are facing other problems besides username and password, here are few quick steps on solving them.
- On your Gmail login page, click on “More options” link.
- Then, on the next page, click on “I’m having other problems signing in” button. Also, enter your email address/username, and click on “Continue”.
- Then, it’ll redirect you to google support page.
Here you need to select the issue and then follow the instructions as shown on your screen.
Hope you have you got the solution you were looking for.